As an avid Shibori Indigo dyer and teacher, I love summer! It’s a wonderful season of transforming fabric and enriching the lives of those I am privileged to teach.
Last week, I told you about my wonderful experience teaching at Sanborn Mills Farm. This week I want to share with you upcoming opportunities for you to join me in a class this Summer or Fall. My classes are open to any level of Shibori dyer!
My three to five day workshops are your chance to totally immerse yourself in the art of Shibori Indigo dyeing. This is where the magic really happens!
We’ll explore lots of techniques and go beyond the basics into the amazing world of manual resist Japanese Shibori. And, I'll bring plenty of samples to inspire you!
Here’s what you can typically expect in class:
- An explanation of Shibori, organic indigo dye and the various kinds of indigo vats. We will also make indigo vats to use during our time together. All supplies needed for the vats are included in the class fee.
- We’ll start with Itajime Shibori and demonstrations of folding and clamping fabric. Then it will be your turn to ready fabrics for dyeing.
- I will also demo marble wrapping and other fun techniques. The rest of the day will be spent working with the fabrics and dyeing.
- At the end of the day I’ll explain the techniques to begin stitching for the stitched designs.
- Each day will begin with a short review of the previous day and any questions you may have.
- I’ll explain Arashi Shibori and demonstrate several ways to fold and wrap fabric on a pole for unique designs.
- We’ll explore more simple stitching techniques with an explanation, then you’ll spend the day exploring the techniques you’ve learned so far.
- The day will end with my demonstration of more advanced folding, wrapping, and stitching resist techniques.
Day Three and Beyond:
- We’ll continue working with all of the techniques and I will demo other techniques such as more detailed stitching. As always, there will be time for questions and individual help as needed.
- And, we will admire and learn from each other’s creations and explorations!
Please plan to join me at one of the workshops below! Check your calendar and sign up soon. Space is always limited so that I can give you as much attention as possible. I’d love to meet you and take you on a journey into the addictive joy of Shibori indigo dyeing!
John C Campbell Folk School - Brasstown NC
July 31 – August 6, 2022
Click here for registration information.
A bonus “Let’s Make a Quilt” class is also offered August 7 – 12, 2022 at John C Campbell Folk School! Spend a second week with me as we refine old techniques and learn new ones. You’ll make a Flying Geese quilt using your own hand-dyed fabrics or any of your favorites!
Click here for a class description and registration information.
Primitive Gatherings – Larsen WI
August 31 – September 2, 2022
Call: 920-778-8031 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and registration.
Creations Main House - Kerrville, Texas
Oct 6 - Oct 9, 2022
Click here to email for registration information.
You’ll find other opportunities on my calendar, too.
Click here and I’ll look forward to seeing you soon!